Self-esteem is a very personal feeling. It is how we feel or perceive ourselves. When one has poor self-esteem, he/she might feel very limited especially when confronted with conflict. If a person doesn’t feel she has the skills to address the conflicts in her life, self-esteem may continue to deteriorate. All lives experience conflict, so if you experience difficulties dealing with them, you are not alone. But, having a strong self-esteem helps a lot to understand what’s going on, and what needs to be done to solve them.
What can be applied to boost self esteem? Acknowledging that it is low is the all-important first step. A person who wants to improve her self-perception must be willing to take steps toward that goal. It’s not always easy, but it’s worth it.
Conflicts make people uncomfortable. Knowing how to manage conflict and then managing it successfully boosts self-esteem. If you suffer from self-esteem issues and conflict leaves you feeling helpless, give the following some thought.
1. Conflict must be addressed and accepted. Ignoring conflict rarely makes it go away. Successfully confronting the negativity of conflict can be very satisfying.
2. Make the choice to engage in a conflict without escalating the problem. This can be done by keeping angry feelings under control, and refraining from revenge and hostility. Present your feelings or disappointment calmly.
3. Listening is very important. Listen to the person with whom the conflict exists. He/she has a point of view and also wants to be heard.
4. Examine the part you may have played in the conflict. You need not accept all the blame, but be sincere in your examination.
5. Lastly, try to learn something from the conflict. After examining how you may have contributed, think about how you might do things differently (better) in the future to reconnect with the person with whom you’ve experienced the conflict.
Learn more about increasing your self-esteem in Boosting Self-Esteem: Be Your Own Heroine, which can be found here. Remember: working through conflict successfully can be an esteem booster.